Society meetings are held on the first Friday of each month (except August) at 7:30pm
(Note that due to New year and Easter sometimes, the January meeting is held later in the month and the April meeting is held on the last Friday of March, please see meeting dates page for details!)
The venue is The South Downs Planetarium at the Chichester High School.
we always welcome new members, please feel free to come along and meet us at one of our monthly meetings— there is no obligation to join—so come along and see what its all about! (The Planetarium is wheelchair/access friendly).
Our stall at Singleton Open Air Museum in 2011.
South Downs Astronomical Society is a registered Charity No. 1052270)
Registered office is
Trustees P.E. FRAY, J.K.W GREEN MBE, Dr J.W. MASON and J. LETHEREN
About us :
For those in the Chichester, West Sussex and surrounding areas, South Downs Astronomical Society (SDAS) is a friendly and informal way of meeting others with similar interests and of learning more about the science and fun of astronomy.
(From this enthusiasm has also evolved the South Downs Planetarium Trust, based in the Sir Patrick Moore Building, in the Chichester High Schools campus, Kingsham Road, Chichester).
Benefits of SDAS membership include:
· Monthly Meetings on the first Friday of every month at 7.30 pm. (No meeting in August) - Held at the Planetarium, Chichester.
· A Programme of Lectures on astronomical, space and allied subjects by visiting speakers, all experts in their particular fields.
· A free monthly Newsletter and other publications available to purchase. Either via email or post.
· Technical Library based at the Planetarium, (a large collection of books on astronomy, space exploration and related topics, is available for loan to members).
· Loan of Telescopes including mounts and eyepieces.
· Social Activities , Gain practical knowledge from fellow astronomers.
Membership costs less than £20 per year, and there is a reduced rate for concessions.
SOUTH DOWNS ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY